Monday, February 11, 2008

Chillicious

Yesterday was dip your pants in liquid nitrogen, crack them off on the way to start your car cold. Snap your wet hair off if it's not under a rocking nasty huge babushka hat cold. Forget fashion-wear icefishing mukluks to high end corporate meeting cold.

Wow.

I've notice an interesting hopeful driving attitude here in Green Bay too. "Gosh I hope it warms up to 4 degrees so my car will start." "Maybe my neighbors will hit a deer to create a slushy spot for some traction at the icy corner those damn snowplows refuse to take care of..." "Maybe my brand-new vehicle will warm up to 40 degrees after driving 3 hours with the heat on full-tornado vent melting blast..."


Afton - peering out the window, completely relaxed, asked, "Mom, can we go to the North Pole?" "Oh, honey, " I replied, "we live there."

12 comments:

mummers said...

I am SO ashamed of even thinking it was chilly in our bedroom ... outdoors it was 58...and warmed to 75 by 10:00...winter here does not equal winter there.

Anonymous said...

Balmy high 40's and low 50's for the last couple of days here in the PNW. Makes for some serious optimism in a season normally without. You have four, whole seasons there. I kinda miss that. Take a lesson from alaska and get those engine warming blankets. Be the smartest people on your block!

Jenny W said...

ok so we're not 40 below here in hoosierland, but we went to see high school musical on ice at the united center sunday, and with the windchill it was 21 below. walking across the street through alleys and parking lots to get to our truck afterwards. i'm sorry but the number of degrees (or lack of degrees!) becomes meaningless when every breath you take LITERALLY freezes your nose hairs and makes your eyelashes stick. when cold becomes painful, there aren't even any words anymore to describe the extent of the suckiness...UGGHHH

Jenny W said...

"dip your pants in liquid nitrogen." that's priceless.

Larky Park said...

I love you people. Thank you for reminding me that winter will eventually end. Folks here say it happens around June.

Nathanael said...

I was sunbathing two days ago. I'm going to be incinerated when spring comes here.

Elizabeth F. said...

I love the We live in the North Pole line! That was hialrious. I agree, you do! IT was in the 70's here today and we love it. Thank God John got a job somewhere warm, but we do miss family even if we are warm and tan! he..he...

Larky Park said...

The snow is now flush with most mailboxes. People ride snowmobiles in the streets. It's now 23 degrees, so I can take the kids out to really play. Truthfully, now it's fun. When you can make a real snowfort to bean the neighbors with...

Also, a neighbor popped over with his snowblower yesterday to "straighten my edges" I've been shoveling once a day and it's still not enough. I could have kissed him. He did get a slice of mom's lasagna, which I figure is the next best thing. ;)

Larky Park said...

Hols, do you remember sneaking out at midnight to build snowforts in the park?

mummers said...

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN THIS CAPER HAPPENED???????????????

Larky Park said...

Oh mom, we had to have SOME secrets. No pot involved, promise. ;)

Anonymous said...

That you had to clarify that there was no pot involved is just precious.