Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Hot lights

Was driving on Dousman, a 25 mph street here in Green Bay. There stands a beacon to all things gloriously childlike and gaudy - 2 and 1/2 stories (4 if you include the evergreen) of hideous perfection. I slowed down. I had to. I had to soak in the rays, the glow, the melodic spinning Santas (just kidding, no spinning).

Nostalgia. I love the cinnamon candies mom put on her sugar cookies. Love cutting down our own little tree and the sharp scents of winter. Love the wonderment in Cedar's eyes that I remember in my brother Matthew's eyes. We used to read "the Little Colonel" and all six of us kids would pack into one of our room on Christmas Eve wiggling with anticipation. My Lord, those memories are precious.

11 comments:

John F. said...

you should see a house here he has 67 of the blowup yard things lights everywhere he even has stars that he put in the top of some of the pine trees 70' to 100' in the air. It was crazy

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful, Bethany....

rozmiarek thoughts said...

That is one of the things I like about the holidays, remembering all the good times. I also like to try to create new memories for other to hang on to.

Matthew said...

They have this one blow up thing in the Grocery store right now that is so sick. It's Santa's legs sticking out of the doorway of an Igloo as If he were stuck trying to get in/out? What does that evan mean? Why's it at the Town&Country?

Anonymous said...

i'm dreaming of getting my very own plastic creche, complete with cordage so it lights up the night.
the bigger the better...

Larky Park said...

What if we designed our own inflated Santa getting stuck under a creche with 80' stars and a few leprachauns? But how should we work in the igloo...

Elizabeth F. said...

Childhood Christmas memories are the best! And I love to see the excitement in my children's eyes.My absolute favorite time of year!

Merry Christmas you guys.

Anonymous said...

Here in Oregon, where our dreams ALWAYS come true, we're dreaming of a Wet Christmas!

Anonymous said...

we've always done a birthday cake for Jesus but it's always gotten lost in the hustle and bustle; so last year we ate it on Christmas morning, FOR BREAKFAST. what a cool mom am i?! my girls were floored...and it was memorable because yes it was 7:30 am BUT we also each took a birthday candle and made a wish and then blew the candles out after singing happy birthday Jesus. sounds cheesy but i dare any mommy out there to try it with your babies on christmas morning and not cry:)

Anonymous said...

We did a cake for Jesus this year, too. We sang Jesus loves me. It was awesome.

holly said...

We would pack on to YOUR BUNK,no? I don't remember the book, but i do remember the late night talks of what we'd get and....did we all sleep on that bunk? this is what abi asked me. I think we pushed the boys on to the floor at some point. ...Beth you were the ideal oldest sib....gathering us all under your wing.