Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Post-Holiday

Well well well well well.... I'm surveying the atomic blast that is my household. My mom always said when facing disaster take bite-size hunks, one at a time. I need coffee and my housekeeper. I thought I could face this without her. I love Christmas and this was an especially significant and poignant one for us. But the aftermath when the husband has left for work and the kids just want to roll and relish in the herculean mounds that I am attempting to dismantle is daunting. At least my kids are cute. ;) Although I did find Afton hurt & crying, wrapped up in hula-hoops and gift bags with Cedar's drumsticks nearby...

By the way, my folks are "out of Africa" and recovering well. Mom took her Malaria pill and is feeling better. I can't wait to hear about their experiences.

John and E and my brother Nat are coming in this weekend at different times - THAT'S when the holidays will feel complete!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can completely relate! I am not sure where to start this morning! :-)

Lora Maria said...

FLY LADY FLY LADY FLY LADY

Anonymous said...

Fly lady is flying through here, too....to cool...I am still waiting for her to come to my house!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

saw your mama at church yesterday and we just held each other for like 3 minutes...she always has a smile on her face but she seemed absolutely giddy. so glad they're home and well!

Larky Park said...

Fly Lady vs Househeeper. Hmmmm.
I will be humble and check her out. It just feels like admitting defeat. I just love focusing on people - I am annoyed with scrubbing my floors only to have eggnog, turkey juice, cheerios etc dumped on it within 30 min. The constant repetition - laundry, dusting, dishes. Blech - I'll do it because I love my family and someone has to. Housekeepers are PHENOMENAL - Slicing HOURS out of my schedule!! I can change a poopy diaper in the dark, shovel vomit into the john, dig chunky crap out of the sink pipes - but that doesn't mean I like it.

My house is much cleaner tonight. I am at rest and laundry will call tomorrow. I don't mind growing in excellence and time management - but ladies "Delegate, delegate - give away the jobs you hate."

Unknown said...

Ya, know I am not sure how weird this sounds..but I am so happy that you all feel my pain about housework. I hate it, but it is a neccesary evil! And the really bad thing is that it just keeps piling up!!!

mummers said...

Anybody remember the line, "Housework, if done properly, .... can kill you."?

Who, pray tell, is the Fly Lady???

holly said...

i love that you focus on people...im getting used to the grimy floors. recently someone asked if i got a new floor....not realizing i had just mopped for once! i decided last year im not going to emotionally damage my children for a clean bathroom. What's going to last? people. i still get stressed if were having company and candy land is visible in all four corners of the living room, but im working on it :-)

Sarafu said...

I am not a fan of housework myself but I hate mess even more! As much as I try to mellow I find my stress level doubles when there is mess nearby. I dont want my kids thinking that a clean house is more important than time with them but what do you when the time spent with them is always disrupted by my obbsesive need to have things in order?

Elizabeth F. said...

I try really hard to put people before things, but I still find myself falling short. I, too, have a compulsion to clean and organize things. My attitude is a work-in-progress though...while I seek more balance.